Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pomegranate Saison?

A couple weeks ago when I bottled the Saison Du Mont from the big brew I added pomegranate juice to a bit of it. Last night I opened one. For starters I had targeted 3 volumes with the priming sugar before adding the juice, needless to say it was a little over carbonated. After the foaming out of the bottle was done I tasted it. Below are my notes.

Appearance: It is more cloudy than the normal batch. Pectin?

Aroma: a flowery aroma and then that Belgian funk with some citrus.

Taste: Its a bit more tart than the normal batch and you can't really taste any fruit.

Mouthfeel: Its very smooth and a bit creamy on the tongue. The extra carbonation maybe or perhaps more body.

Wife test: My wife liked this version compared to the normal batch.

Overall I think we need to do a side by side next time. If I did this again I'd back off on the priming sugar for the juiced batch.

Brew on

1 comment:

  1. Why didn't you tell me you had a blog? My buddy and I split one of your Saisons yesterday so I could focus on it a little more than at the club meeting. Very tasty! I think you are spot on for the carbonation level. Very nice head retention and lacing, great mouthfeel, and just a little bit of funkiness. I was expecting more fruity esters but tasted a little more of the spiciness from the yeast, but that could be from the coriander too. Very tasty! I kegged mine yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to do a side by side in the next day or so. I need to brew a bunch of beer in the next few weeks to get ready for our big bash in July, but after those beers are done I think I'll do another Saison, probably one from Farmhouse Ales or maybe BCS, and try and get my hands on the Saison II for that one.

    ReplyDelete